expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Saturday, February 27, 2016

Hammer and Chisel Journey - Day 42: Max Hammer Strength

Day 42 - Max Hammer Strength



This workout is almost 40 minutes in length and includes your warm-up and cool-down.  Modifications are provided.

The workout is set up as follows: One body-weight movement is done for 60 seconds and then you do a similar weighted move that targets the same muscle group for 8 reps.  He tells you to lift HEAVY for the 8 reps in an effort to fatigue the muscle.

The moves are as follows:   (body weight –> 60 secs and weighted –> 8 reps)

Reverse Lunge/Weighted Reverse Lunge (left then right) I used 25 pound dumbbells.
Push-ups/Chest Press (on ball or bench or floor even) I used 25 pound dumbbells.
Body-weight squats/shoulder squats (dumbbells on shoulders) I used 25 pound dumbbells.
Pull-up/Lat pullover (one dumbbell) I used one 25 pound dumbbell.
Good mornings/dead-lifts
Chin-ups/ one arm row (Right/Left) I used a 15 pound dumbbell.
Low sumo squat/weighted sumo (1 dumbbell) I used 25 pound dumbbells.
Band military press/seated military press I used 10 pound dumbbells.
Bulgarian split squat/single leg step up  (Right then left after completing both moves) The single leg step up is REALLY hard by this point! I used a 10 pound dumbbell.
Ledge calf raises on edge of bench or step/seated calf raise (with dumbbells on thighs) I used 25 pound dumbbells.

Max Hammer Strength  Review and Thoughts:

I loved this workout and really enjoyed combining the 60 seconds of body-weight work with the heavy weighted reps!  I loved that I could go super heavy because the reps were lower and you were only doing one set with the dumbbells even though you were fatiguing them first.  I feel like the cool downs could be a bit longer, but I just stretch a bit more at the end on my own.


Sagi is funny and offers his usual strong motivation and great sense of humor. In addition, he gives form pointers and technique suggestions.




No comments:

Post a Comment