expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Saturday, February 27, 2016

Hammer and Chisel Journey - Day 44: ISO Speed Hammer

Day 44 - ISO Speed Hammer

Please see my previous blog post Hammer and Chisel - Day 5 for a full description of this workout.

Some notes – This is a really unique workout in which you hold a move isometrically, but each move is turned into a three-step motion. For example, with pushups you go down in three distinct “hops or levels”.  You do that for 10 reps, and then the next 10 are FAST (hence the SPEED part of the name!)

Push Up –  Straightforward – 10 slow push ups, followed immediately by 10 fast ones!

Static Lunge – With weights – lunge position. Down for 3 then up.. followed by 10 fast reps. I used 25 pound dumbbells for this (this is an improvement from 15 pound dumbbells.)

Chin Ups – Reverse grip chin-ups – 10 slow followed by 10 fast. I am still using the resistance band attached to the door for these even by day 44!

Deadlift – With weights – you go down in three motions, then up.. followed by 10 fast reps.  I used 25 pound dumbbells for this.  This is an improvement from 12 pound dumbbells.

Side Lateral Raise – Standard lateral raises... use lighter weights. I used 8 pound dumbbells and had to drop to 5 pounds mid-set.

Sumo Squat – Your feet go further than hip-width apart with your toes pointed out. Hold a weight with both hands at the center of your body and squat down in three motions, and back up.... followed by 10 fast reps. I used one 25 dumbbell for this.

Rear Delt Cross Fly –  Hold the band in both hands and stand on top of it on the floor. Cross the bands and bend at the waist. You then reverse fly up, focusing on your back and deltoids. This one REALLY starts to burn!



Pistol Squat – Just like Autumn’s earlier move from the Chisel Balance workout, a one-leg squat with your other leg out in front of you. Go down in three motions, followed by 10 fast reps. I used 25 pound dumbbells. This one really starts to burn!!

Curl Face Down – Bicep curls lying across the ball extending in three motions.... followed by 10 fast reps. My arms are still on fire!! I used 12 pound dumbbells.



Calf Raises – Up & down holding weights! They recommend standing on the back of a bench so you can lower your calves more. I did mine directly on the floor and my husband did his on the steps. I used 10 pound dumbbells.

Tricep Kickback Twist – Bend at the waist, and kick your arms back and rotate them back forward into a bicep curl move. I used 10 pound dumbbells.




ISO Speed Hammer Review & Thoughts: 

I didn’t think this one was as difficult as the Hammer Plyo workout. It’s short and fast-paced....in and out. This workout is only about 23 mins and by the time that you factor in the warm up and cool down, you only have to work for about 17-18 mins!  I used heavier weights this go around and really got a good workout in! I can still feel the burn!


It does feel great to get a full-body workout in – this one covers everything!

See you tomorrow for Hammer and Chisel - Day 45!

My Meal Plan for Today:





No comments:

Post a Comment