expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Sunday, March 6, 2016

Hammer and Chisel Journey - Day 51: MAX Hammer Strength

Day 51 - MAX Hammer Strength

...and this workout will surely make you sweat!!


Please see my previous blog post Hammer and Chisel Day- 9 for a full description of this workout. 

I can tell that I have gotten much stronger as evidenced by the fact that I can do push ups for a full minute without having to go down on my knees! This is new for me! When we started this journey, I struggled to do 30 seconds before dropping to my knees! 

The moves are as follows:   (body weight –> 60 secs and weighted –> 8 reps)


  • Reverse Lunge without weight followed by weighted Reverse Lunge (left then right) for eight reps. I used 25 pound dumbbells. My 11yo son who joined me today used 12 pound dumbbells
  • Push-ups for one minute followed by Chest Press (Bench Press) (on ball or bench or floor even) I used 25 pound dumbbells and performed it on the stability ball. My son used 12 pound dumbbells.
  • Body-weight squats for one minute followed by shoulder squats (dumbbells on shoulders) I used 25 pound dumbbells. My son used 12 pound dumbbells.
  • Pull-ups for one minute follwed by Lateral pullovers on the stability ball (one dumbbell) I used one 25 pound dumbbell. My son used a 12 pound dumbbell. I did the pull ups using a resistance band attached to the door.  My son used the pull up bar and was able to do 12 pull ups! :) *On a side note, he has been chosen by the school to represent the 6th grade in their First in Fitness event where he be participating in the triathlon event. He will run one mile, do sit ups for one minute, and as many pull ups as he can do! I am very proud of him! This will take place in April.
  • Good mornings for one minute followed by dead-lifts. I used 25 pound dumbbells and my son used 12 pound dumbbell.
  • Chin-ups for one minute followed by one arm row (Right/Left) for eight reps. I used a 15 pound dumbbell. My son used an 8 pound dumbbell. Again, I did use the resistance band attached to the door for the chin ups.
  • Low sumo squat for one minute (you remain in the squat position throughout the entire minute and never fully stand all of the way up) followed by weighted sumo squats (1 dumbbell) I used a 25 pound dumbbell. My son used a 12 pound dumbbell.
  • Resistance Band military press for one minute followed by seated military press. I used 12 pound dumbbells (an increase from 10 pound dumbbells). My son used 8 pound dumbbells.
  • Bulgarian split squat for one minute followed by single leg step up  (Right then left after completing both moves) The single leg step up is REALLY hard by this point! I used a 10 pound dumbbell. My son did it without weights.
  • Ledge calf raises on edge of bench or step (or on the floor) for one minute followed by seated calf raise (with dumbbells on thighs) I used 25 pound dumbbells. My son used 12 pound dumbbells. 


I enjoy this workout... It is a good workout, gets the heart going by using the large muscle groups with all of the squats, and definitely leaves you feeling worked!  And..... I am pretty sure that I am going to be sore, lol! I feel like I have been sore every day for the last 51 days, lol.  However, I actually have started using Beachbody's Recovery Formula and I can tell a difference. I think that I would be much more sore without it.  I started using the Recovery about half-way through this program, and I can definitely tell a difference!

See you tomorrow for Hammer and Chisel - Day 52! 

No comments:

Post a Comment